Welcome to USA visahub.com as We are Immigration Law Firm

Business Phone
Contact time

Mon-Sat: 9.00-18.00

Problems with leaving America after obtaining green card

After obtaining green card (including NIW), many ask if any problems occur with maintaining my immigration status. Maintaining lawful permanent residence is an individual matter. Although a problem can be dealt with after it has occurred, at this time I can only tell you to consider gaining a Re-entry permit.

Apply the re-entry permit and bring it In order to maintain permanent residency, do not remain overseas for more than 6 months without re entry permit. When you apply it, the fingerprint notice will be issued two months after you applies.


Bring documents that show your intentions of living in the States. (Bank account, house, car insurance, family, property, business, consistent tax returns, etc)

For Reference

A lawful permanent resident (LPR) normally may travel outside the United States and return; however, there are some limitations. A reentry permit can help prevent two types of problems:

• Your Permanent Resident Card becomes technically invalid for reentry into the United States if you are absent from the United States for 1 year or more.
• Your U.S. permanent residence may be considered as abandoned for absences shorter than 1 year if you take up residence in another country.

Leave Comments